Thursday, December 6, 2007

Ethics (or lack of)

For those of you thinking SL is a game, or a "3D chat", a post about ethics may seem totally unrelated, or misplaced.

Well, I believe that no matter your opinion of SL and how you "live" it, ethics (or talking of) definitely have a place, here or anywhere else.

Ethics (and lack of) are strictly inherent to us humans. Every day we act, talk, write; there are many instances where ethics are (or should be) involved.

Before I get carried away, I'll get to the point and I'll specify that I'll be dealing with business ethics in this post. As I wrote in my first post here, I am the Director of Communication and Public Relations for the VSTEX, a "community based virtual stock exchange".

I won't go over all the issues most of us have seen, either directly or not. Most of us know that the range of "bad things" goes from CEOs running away with the company treasury to all sorts of blackmail attempts.

Those are the things getting the attention of the press and the general public. Of course on the other side there are a lot of good businesses, but as it happens in real life, most of the times who just does his business the right way, doesn't get much press. You may or may not agree with me here, but that's how I feel.

Before joining the VSTEX team I have been a "virtual trader/investor" and a few times I have stumbled on unethical people. Being in my new office I said to myself "What should I focus on, now?".

First thing was to improve the exchange rules which they are far away from being perfect now, but any improvement is a good improvement if you ask me.

Then I started digging into business ethics and that led to the VSTEX Code of Ethics and the VSTEX Public Disclosure Policy .

Of course even the best codes and policies won't mean much if you don't live by them. A Code of Ethics should not be a collection of phylosophical mumbo-jumbo or marketing jargon and at all costs shouldn't be a trap to lure people into thinking you're all good and white.

I believe ethics to be a major factor in the competition equation. SL is a social environment, a good reputation will take you up to the stars, a bad or tarnished reputation may hinder you seriously. Who will prove to be an ethical business will have a definite advantage in the race for success.

You may be thinking "So let's get ethical now", but please stop a little before you run for your desk, to write the "Ultimate Code of Ethics".

You don't learn ethics, though by reading some good documents you may improve your ethical inclination/awareness. You must have an ethical DNA. If it isn't in you veins, in your heart, you may get close, but in the long run you may give up or fail to live by your own code.

I would encourage you to discuss ethics with your team, or fellow businesses, whomever. Look around you and ask yourself "How could I do it, in an ethical way?" or "Could I be more ethical?". Asking questions, even to yourself, is a great way to learn. Great human discoveries and inventions came out of more or less simple curiosity.

As for myself, I'll see what I can do over at the VSTEX where I found a management very incline to follow my calls and ideas. Future will tell and I'm looking forward to a bright one.


Powered by ScribeFire.

0 comments:

Google